Wisconsin's Oldest Bookstore

Janke Book Store History

Janke Book Store, Located Downtown Wausau, WI

Pictured from left in a superimposed picture including founder Carl Janke, rear right, are Jane Janke Johnson holding longtime store feline Marvin the Cat, Sarah Johnson, and John Janke. The historic photo is currently displayed at Mount Kapps Fine Art Gallery as a featured Painting In Progress.

A long-time magnet for the area's literary minded, Janke Book Store dates back to 1919. In that year, Carl Janke and Reno Kurth purchased a retail facility on the west side of Third St. which itself had been established in 1874. They operated as "Janke-Kurth" until 1948, when Janke became sole owner and the store's present name was adopted.

In 1954, John Janke entered into partnership with his father. After Carl Janke's death in 1974, John and his wife, Delores, assumed management of the enterprise. Their son James joined them in business operation in 1980 and daughter Jane joined the enterprise in 1983. John passed away in 2006 and Delores is retired as Jim and Jane handle business operations with support from a skilled staff of eight.

Janke Book Store's current location at 505 Third St. in Wausau, is its fourth location on the same city block through three generations of ownership. The store is the most complete of its kind in the Wausau area, offering a wide variety of products and services.

The store features not only books but gifts, stationery products and what is widely recognized as the best specialty card collection in Central Wisconsin. Janke's is known for interesting window displays, usually with a local twist, and features locally-written books and author book signings.

This popular mecca for books, gifts and more has always been community minded, participating in numerous civic an social endeavors and featuring attractive meeting rooms for book clubs and other organizations.

Janke Book Store History

Janke Book Store - Located in Downtown Wausau

Pictured from left in a superimposed picture including founder Carl Janke, rear right, are Jane Janke Johnson holding longtime store feline Marvin the Cat, Sarah Johnson, and John Janke. The historic photo is currently displayed at Mount Kapps Fine Art Gallery as a featured Painting In Progress.

A long-time magnet for the area's literary minded, Janke Book Store dates back to 1919. In that year, Carl Janke and Reno Kurth purchased a retail facility on the west side of Third St. which itself had been established in 1874. They operated as "Janke-Kurth" until 1948, when Janke became sole owner and the store's present name was adopted.

In 1954, John Janke entered into partnership with his father. After Carl Janke's death in 1974, John and his wife, Delores, assumed management of the enterprise. Their son James joined them in business operation in 1980 and daughter Jane joined the enterprise in 1983. John passed away in 2006 and Delores is retired as Jim and Jane handle business operations with support from a skilled staff of eight.

Janke Book Store's current location at 505 Third St. in Wausau, is its fourth location on the same city block through three generations of ownership. The store is the most complete of its kind in the Wausau area, offering a wide variety of products and services.

The store features not only books but gifts, stationery products and what is widely recognized as the best specialty card collection in Central Wisconsin. Janke's is known for interesting window displays, usually with a local twist, and features locally-written books and author book signings.

This popular mecca for books, gifts and more has always been community minded, participating in numerous civic an social endeavors and featuring attractive meeting rooms for book clubs and other organizations.